Thursday, September 30, 2010

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Hello Readers,

This past week has flown by in a low-carbon way! I've been making several contacts with potential clients interested in solar PV systems. I also started reading "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, so I plan to write a review of it as soon as I'm finished reading it.

In the mean time, I wanted to offer some commentary on my on-going effort to live without a car. In all honesty, I have been driving a decent amount for work (during work) to meet clients and help coordinate projects. However, as I mentioned before, I've decided to see how long I can go without buying a new car for personal use.

So far, it has not been terribly difficult. I live about a tenth of a mile away from a Giant grocery store and about a mile away (or a 5 minute bike ride) from my office. Also, there are a bunch of restaurants and bars within a 15 minute walk. Thus, my need to drive is limited.

I expected that living within a town (West Chester, PA to be specific) would mean that it would be very walking-friendly. However, I have noticed that this particular town could stand to benefit from some basic improvements.

Perhaps, I am a little spoiled from the last few places I've lived... all of which had ample sidewalks (aka "pavement" in England) and/or large areas of pedestrianized streets. Thus, I was astonished to move to West Chester, which lacks even the most basics in sidewalk maintenance and coherence.

To explain by way of example, on my walk to work today I encountered... smooth well-paved sidewalks, grass yards without sidewalks, brick sidewalks (some with hills and/or foot-high tree roots), broken sidewalks, slanted sidewalks, still more yards without sidewalks, and finally well-paved sidewalks (once I got onto Gay Street downtown). For having to walk only a mile, the variety in sidewalk quality is unbelievable . There seems to be no regulation, empathy, or reason behind the sidewalks (or lack thereof).

As an able-bodied, sustainably-minded individual I am completely willing to forgo the comfort of a smooth, well-laid sidewalk. However, I could see how such a state of sidewalk maintenance would deter many others of a different mindset (and prevent those who are physically disabled).

So, Readers, I ask what have you done to improve the condition of the walkability of your town? As a newcomer to a town, how do you take action before you even know your neighbors? Do you have any similar stories/anecdotes?

Cheers,
Sean Diamond

No comments:

Post a Comment