Monday, June 27, 2011

zero packaging grocery store

Hello Readers,

This week I am going to focus on food subsidies. As I pull my thoughts together on this matter, I wanted to point out a "new" type of grocery store that is being created in Austin, Texas. It is a grocery store that specializes in bulk foods with no disposable packaging. Check out this article about the store called In.gredients or watch the youtube video:




This is a great idea for a grocery store. In fact, it would be great if every grocery store was like this. However, I do need to point out that this idea is not new. This is exactly what open-air food markets and farmer's markets have done for hundreds of years.

Really, the question should be why did grocery stores stop offering bulk foods as their primary way to sell food? And why is every meal sold packaged individually in two or three layers of plastic?

Peripherally, I will be answering these questions and other food related questions while trying to tackle the issue of excessive food subsidies in the United States.

Stay tuned,

Sean Diamond

No comments:

Post a Comment