Monday, June 25, 2012

Global Sustainability - Introduction

Hello Readers,

I've had a chance to do some reading recently, and I've been catching up on some 'must read' books from about a decade ago. As a result, I've pulled together some of my own thoughts about what might be necessary for a global society to be sustainable. However, please do not expect that I will describe some 'magic bullet' solution, because (1) I very much dislike that term and (2) the concept of sustainability is not conducive to such solutions.

This is not a concept that can be easily conveyed in a single blog post. Instead, I am going to write out all the posts at once and schedule them to post over the coming weeks, so please stay tuned (or wait until the end of next week and come back to read them all). In the meantime, if you are bored, I would recommend skimming through the book Why We Disagree About Climate Change by Mike Hulme to get into the right mind-set. (I am not going to be discussing what is in his book, but it may help some die-hard environmentalists re-think how they argue about concepts they favor.)

Please do not expect that at the end of this brief series of posts my thoughts will be concluded, because - as you will see - what I am proposing is not a fully formed concept. Furthermore, each of the posts could (and probably does) have an entire book devoted to exploring its concepts. Also, my aim is not to address any particular ill effect of unsustainable practices (e.g. climate change or material waste). Instead, I attempting to redefine the problem, to make an unknown unknown into a known unknown, or at least put some assumptions about sustainability into perspective. My hope is that this will help us ensure our place as the Warmest Generation.

As each of the posts are published, I will add links to the titles below, so it is easy to navigate through the series.

Cheers,

Sean

Table of Contents for the Global Sustainability series:
  1. Introduction                 <-- you are here
  2. Societal Survival
  3. Institutionality
  4. Democratic Necessity
  5. Economic Disconnect
  6. (In)Conclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment