Thursday, November 8, 2012

A letter to the president

Hello President Obama,

I obviously want to start off by congratulating you on a well fought electoral campaign and, of course, your re-election. On Tuesday, I voted for you for a second time, and I wanted to let you know why.

I believe that we need to leave the planet and society in better shape than they were given to us.

I am not (especially) worried about myself, because I have been given the opportunity to share in a rich and on-going human experience: the opportunity to grow and learn and live. My main concern is that I leave the planet and society in such a state that my grandchildren’s grandchildren (which – for the record – are hypothetical, as are any children I may have in the future) will have the opportunity to say the same thing. I believe that if I live my life like this – asking for nothing that will detract from the human experience of my grandchildren’s grandchildren – my life, my neighbors’ lives, and my children’s lives will be enriched all the more.

I understand that none of our country's problems (financial, social, or environmental) materialized overnight nor could many of them be easily predicted (or avoided even if they were clearly predicted). Instead, the issues we face are the result of an accumulation of decades of (and in some cases generations of) complex decisions made with the best intentions.

I also understand that there are indeed limits to presidential power, and that it is necessary for a president to work with (or in some cases against) the Congress as well as many other parties. I understand that the social cost of not addressing our country's health-care system in your first term would have been great.

In short, I am very understanding. However, I voted for your re-election, because I believe that you genuinely care, speak and act sincerely, and possess the fortitude to that will be required to work through the issues at hand.

That being said, I must demand two things of you. The first, of which you are no doubt well aware, is that you do whatever it takes to get our nation's debt under control. The second, which you only mentioned in passing during your campaign and which in my mind is absolutely paramount, is that you put a truly unprecedented effort forward to implement substantial measures that address climate change - both its mitigation and (due to the unfortunately modest progress made on this issue thus far) our adaptation in response to the effects that can no longer be avoided.

You have been given 4 more years to accomplish both of these demands; however, the impact of your actions will determine the course of our history for the next 40 years or more. While others will demand necessary and useful short-term actions to fix the economy and provide more jobs over the next couple of years, any such short-term gains will be completely negated soon after the end of your term if a comprehensive long-term strategy is not initiated.

I have waited four years with patience and understanding. We cannot wait another four years. We need serious and comprehensive action now. We need to find solutions that work - whether they are government-based solutions or private-sector solutions or a little of both, I frankly do not care... whether it requires raising more taxes or making thoughtful spending reductions, I do not care. It simply needs to work. The rest of the details will sort themselves out over time, just make it work!

With high hopes and best wishes,

Sean Diamond
A member of the Warmest Generation

1 comment: